Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Melancholia (2011)

This movie, directed by Lars von Trier, was apparently well received by critics as well as some people. It was not well received by this person! I didn't even finish it.

The film is about a woman, Justine (Kirsten Dunst) who falls into a depression after marrying her husband Michael (Alexander Skarsgard) at her sister (Charlotte Gainsbourg) and brother-in-law's (Kiefer Sutherland) resort. Her parents are both a mess and give rotten and inappropriate speeches and Justine wanders the grounds instead of mixing with her guests. She even falls asleep with her nephew at one point. Her relationship with her husband degrades during the movie as does her relationship with her sister. This is all happening as a yet undiscovered planet is hurtling toward earth.

I found this movie weird and boring, not entertaining at all. I got about half way before I had to shut it off. I am not sure what all the accolades were with regard to this film. A lot of it was supposed to be because of Dunst's acting, but I did not think that the acting was exceptional. The first 10 minutes of the movie (at least it felt that way) was of the bride and groom trying to get their limo up a hill. WTF?

Rated R. 135 Minutes.  I give this movie ONE AND ONE HALF stars.

1 comment:

  1. Kelley, Sounds like a mess of a movie! Not appealing to sci-fi fans I'm sure or whoever it was supposed to!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete