Friday, May 25, 2012

Ball Of Fire (1941)

I love the oldies and I love movies starring Barbara Stanwyck!  In this film, Barbara Stanwyck stars as  "Sugarpuss" O'Shea a nightclub singer who is the girlfriend of a mob boss named Joe Lilac (Dana Andrews).  While working at the club, she meets professor Bertram Potts (Gary Cooper) who wants to ask her questions about modern American slang words as he is writing an encyclopedia about all human knowledge with some other professors.  She is not too thrilled with this and turns him down. 

When she finds out that she is going to be questioned about her boyfriends mob activities, she is told by his henchmen to skip town.  The only place that she can think to go is to the professors house where he and his other professors live and work.  These professors are lovably geeky and take to her right away.  The housekeeper however is not thrilled with her at all and wants her gone.  The professor and Sugarpuss eventually grow close and he asks her to marry him and she accepts.  Unfortunately her boyfriend wants her to marry him so that she can't testify against him. 

I recently read that Barbara Stanwyck had 12 soldier pen pals during WWII, what a gal!  Love the hair and clothing in this film!

Really cute film!  Love it!

111 MInutes.  Not Rated.  I give this film FOUR AND ONE HALF STARS!

3 comments:

  1. This movie looks like a hoot. That first gentleman is the guy who plays Oz right? I think Barbara looks so pretty in this. Putting this on my Summer list for sure!

    xxKim

    ReplyDelete
  2. That has got to be the best night club singer's stage name ever! She makes me wish I was a performer just so that I could follow this character's lead and add "sugarpuss" to my own moniker. :)

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelley, How are you? Thanks for the very sweet note. I am excited to stream that Bergdorf film! I just love all your reviews. When are you going to post again? You should! I love this site and your choices are great! Hope all is well! x Kim

    ReplyDelete