Monday, June 14, 2010

Splice (2009)

Clive Nicoli (Adrian Brody) and Elsa Kast (Sarah Polley) are genetic engineers and a couple working for a pharmaceutical company that is splicing together different kinds of animal DNA to create new kinds of animals.

Their last experiment seemed to work o.k. so they would like to splice together human DNA with animal DNA to see what the results are. The pharmaceutical company rejects their proposal and they decide to proceed anyway to see what happens.

A creature that they agreed would be elimated once it got to a certain stage is created, but Elsa can't bring herself to kill it. She becomes attached to it and it grows and learns at a very fast rate. She names it Dren (nerd spelled backward) and they move Dren to an old farmhouse when they realize that the lab that they work in is going to be remodeled and they can't keep her there. During the course of the movie, the couple who were once so close become divided.

This movie is not really my genre, so it wasn't my favorite. It wasn't an awful movie until the last half hour which I found to be disturbing. I don't know if I didn't like the movie because it deals with mixing DNA's and I find that scary (it is probably already being done but I don't want to know about it), or if the movie was bad. Other critics seemed to like it.

104 Minutes. Rated R. I give this movie TWO AND ONE HALF STARS.

No comments:

Post a Comment